intercepting internal entities?

DuCharme, Robert DuCharmR at moodys.com
Tue Apr 27 18:33:07 BST 1999

Here's my problem: let's say I have a document with ä in it
somewhere and auml properly declared as an internal entity in the DTD
along with the other 589 internal entities shown at
http://www.oasis-open.org/cover/xml-ISOents.txt. My application will
write to one file headed for a Windows app (in which case I want the
ä mapped to byte 228), a Mac document (where I want it mapped to
byte 138) a DOS one (byte 132), a web page ("ä") and a Bloomberg
terminal ("a").

In SGML, we would declare auml as an SDATA entity and the conversion
tools would let me trap the internal entity event and map it
appropriately depending on the output format. Using Java and SAX, I
don't see any equivalent event to trap.  SAX's EntityResolve interface
seems restricted to external entities. I suppose I could scan all
characters before outputting them and map the ones that need it, but if
there are potentially 590 that need mapping, this seems inefficient. Is
there a better way? Am I missing something?

thanks,

Bob DuCharme          www.snee.com/bob           <bob@
snee.com>  "The elements be kind to thee, and make thy
spirits all of comfort!" Anthony and Cleopatra, III ii

List coordinator, Henry Rzepa (mailto:rzepa at ic.ac.uk)