encoding problem fixed

David Brownell david-b at pacbell.net
Tue Aug 3 17:52:31 BST 1999

John Cowan wrote:

> David Brownell wrote:
>
> > Actually, that's not correct either.  My general advice is to pass a
> > URI to the parser -- which is required to do the correct thing! -- and
> > in those rare cases that can't be done ...

Minor apology -- I meant to say "not _quite_ correct"!  That case of
externally typed data (e.g. from web servers) is too often forgotten.

> This leads to an interesting question: what do various XML parsers
> do when fetching http: URIs that produce explicit charset declarations?

Sun's parses the "application/xml;charset=GB2312" style declarations
directly.  The last I looked, not many processors handled the MIME
and XML/MIME RFCs correctly.

(That is, it remains really good advice to ALWAYS put XML or text
declarations at the beginning of your documents... even in the many
cases you shouldn't need to do so.)

- Dave

List coordinator, Henry Rzepa (mailto:rzepa at ic.ac.uk)