Combining characters/Extenders, etc. in Unicode

John Cowan cowan at locke.ccil.org
Tue Aug 10 04:36:55 BST 1999

David Brownell scripsit:

> Ideographics ... think of Chinese characters.  There's a big problem
> with Unicode 2.x in that it doesn't handle enough of them; there are
> many more coming in some eventual revision of Unicode (perhaps in
> the surrogate blocks).

There will be about 6000 more very rare characers in Unicode 3.0, which
is now in beta, none of them in the Astral Planes.  Plane 2 will be
dedicated, probably in Unicode 4.0, to the ultra-rare characters, particularly
those used only in names, etc.

> (Leading to an interesting question of whether
> those characters will be usable in names in some revision of XML.)

They'd better be.

John Cowan                                   cowan at ccil.org
       I am a member of a civilization. --David Brin

List coordinator, Henry Rzepa (mailto:rzepa at ic.ac.uk)