Notations in the external Subset

John Cowan cowan at locke.ccil.org
Wed Aug 11 16:53:16 BST 1999

Sangineto Stefano wrote:

> I read in the XML specification that the internal subset is processed before
> the external subset. Is this the reason for my xml-editor error messages
> (Notation not declared Line 3)?
> Is there a way to get round this annoying problem or must each author
> declare his own notations?

There is no reason in XML for the notation to be declared before the
external entity, and if your software does make such a requirement,
it is broken.

However, there may be another reason for the error.  You speak of
"jpeg" in the first line, but "jpg" is used in the sample document.
Is this the problem?

	John Cowan	http://www.ccil.org/~cowan	cowan at ccil.org
Schlingt dreifach einen Kreis um dies! / Schliesst euer Aug vor heiliger Schau,
Denn er genoss vom Honig-Tau / Und trank die Milch vom Paradies.
			-- Coleridge / Politzer

List coordinator, Henry Rzepa (mailto:rzepa at ic.ac.uk)