XML Bible/2nd Edition of XML:Extensible Markup Language

Elliotte Rusty Harold elharo at metalab.unc.edu
Mon Aug 16 14:48:15 BST 1999

I'm pleased to announce the release of The XML Bible, my latest
book and one of the most comprehensive and up-to-date books
available about writing Web pages with XML (and a few other
topics too). The XML Bible is the second edition (in everything
but name) of my previous best-seller, XML: Extensible Markup
Language. However, topping out at over 1000 pages (vs. 400 for
the previous book) there's more new material here than old. And
all the older material has been substantially revised,
rewritten, and expanded based on both reader comments and my own
growing understanding of XML over the last year. The XML Bible
costs $10 more than XML: Extensible Markup Language ($49.99 vs.
$39.99) but for that $10 you get over two and a half times as
much stuff, so I think it's a pretty good value. :-)

The XML Bible is also up to date with all XML specifications as
of July 1, 1999. Unfortunately several specifications for XSL,
XLinks, and XPointers were revised July 9, 1999 just as the book
was going to the printers. :-( I've posted revised versions of
all affected chapters online at Cafe con Leche
<http://metalab.unc.edu/xml/books/bible/updates/> and plan to
continue doing so as the various specifications grow and evolve
toward their final incarnations. Today I'm working on revising
those chapters once more to fit the August release of XSLT and
XPath.

The XML Bible should be available now at a bookstore near you
including amazon.com:

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/0764532367/cafeaulaitA/

It's $49.99, ISBN 0-7645-3236-7, published by IDG Books, and
written by me, Elliotte Rusty Harold. You can read more about it
on my XML Bible page at

http://metalab.unc.edu/xml/books/bible/

or read on for a few more details.

The XML Bible is a comprehensive introduction to XML for Web
page design. It shows you how to write XML documents, validate
them with DTDs, design CSS and XSL style sheets for those
documents, convert them to HTML, and publish them on Web servers
for the world to read. You'll also learn how to use XML
technologies like RDF, XLinks, XHTML, and namespaces to add
structure and organization to your document collections. And
finally, you'll learn about the many uses of XML beyond the Web
site, including genealogy, subscription services, mathematics,
vector graphics, and more.

Unlike most other XML books on the market, The XML Bible covers
XML not from the perspective of a software developer but rather
that of a Web page author. It doesn't spend a lot of pages
talking about BNF grammars or parsing element trees. Instead it
shows you how you can use XML and existing tools today to more
efficiently and productively produce attractive, exciting,
easy-to-use, easy-to-maintain Web sites that will keep your
readers coming back for more.

This book is aimed squarely at Web site developers. I assume you
want to use XML to produce Web sites that are difficult to
impossible to create with raw HTML. You'll be amazed to discover
that in conjunction with style sheets and a few free tools, XML
lets you do things that previously required either custom
software costing hundreds to thousands of dollars per developer
or extensive knowledge of programming languages like Perl. None
of the software in this book will cost you more than a few
minutes of download time. None of the tricks require any
programming.

The XML Bible should be available now at a bookstore near you
including amazon.com
<http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/0764532367/cafeaulaitA/>.
It's $49.99, ISBN 0-7645-3236-7, published by IDG Books, and
written by me, Elliotte Rusty Harold. You can read more about it
on my XML Bible page at
<http://metalab.unc.edu/xml/books/bible/>

|               Java I/O (O'Reilly & Associates, 1999)               |
|            http://metalab.unc.edu/javafaq/books/javaio/            |
|   http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ISBN=1565924851/cafeaulaitA/   |
|  Read Cafe au Lait for Java News:  http://metalab.unc.edu/javafaq/ |
|  Read Cafe con Leche for XML News: http://metalab.unc.edu/xml/     |