I'm on the edge and I need a push...

Mark Birbeck Mark.Birbeck at iedigital.net
Mon Aug 16 19:24:29 BST 1999

Binesh Bannerjee wrote:
> 	Most of the books I've read on XML/XSL use examples as
> follows: They take output from a database (converted to XML,
> of course)
> and then pretty up the output using XSL... This is great, however,
> a real site would need a little bit more, and would likely
> involve not just one XML doc per output page, but likely more than
> one:
>
> [snip]
>
> But, some stuff, wouldn't fit so clearly: the ad for instance at the
> top under the Yahoo logo, the latest bids section and the latest news.

One simple additional step to take is to dynamically generate your XSL,
just like you dynamically generate your XML. It is XML, after all. Then
you end up with an XML doc that contains the bulk of the data for the
page, and then an XSL document that contains the formatted 'container'
for that data, with menus and so on, but with the advantage that much of
the HTML in the rules has been added dynamically. We have used this
technique on http://www.worldlink.co.uk/ if you want to have a look.

(We are working on a much neater and more generalised solution, but I
think the above plan caters for a lot of situations.)

Regards,

Mark

List coordinator, Henry Rzepa (mailto:rzepa at ic.ac.uk)