Declarative constraints for XML documents

Mike Spreitzer spreitze at parc.xerox.com
Wed Aug 18 15:58:53 BST 1999

> I'm not sure that XSL is the place to enforce constraints
> since it's for
> style.  Constraints also probably shouldn't live in the XML document
> since they don't participate in the information space, but
> act upon it.
> Perhaps, in the same way that a document points to a schema
> and a style
> sheet, there should be a pointer to a set of methods that
> would describe
> these constraints or any other operations.

Declarative constraints are what schemas are for!  The W3C's XML Schema
Working Group has already accepted as a requirement the ability to put
"application-specific constraints" into schemas (see Structural
requirement 5 in
<http://www.w3.org/TR/1999/NOTE-xml-schema-req-19990215>).  Let's not
architect things that are "schema-like" but "not schemas"; let's make
schemas able to say what we need them to say.

Mike

List coordinator, Henry Rzepa (mailto:rzepa at ic.ac.uk)