Transmitting CGI vars to an XML doc.
binesh at hex21.com
Wed Aug 18 17:00:26 BST 1999
Still on the edge here...
What is the way that people here are using to send CGI parameters
to an XML driven CGI?
I was _thinking_ of dynamically "augmenting" the XML with things
<!ENTITY % cgi_blah "Something">
<!ENTITY % cgi_var74 "Something Else">
Then, I thought, this is a terrible idea, because all CGI vars would
_HAVE_ to be defined in advance to the XML/XSL, since there is the
possibility of say somebody expecting %cgi_binesh; to return something
but binesh was never passed in as a CGI var, so %cgi_binesh; is not in
the dtd, so the app craps out...
How are people handling this? Is it custom coding around xml tags?
I don't think
<CGI VAR="blah"/> will quite do what I want, since sometimes
I might want to do
<SQL QUERY="select * from wherever where name='<CGI VAR="blah"/>';/>
or some such, which is what led me to parameter entities to begin
with... Any ideas?
* There's nothing wrong with me... http://www.panix.com/~binesh *
* There's something wrong with the universe. http://www.hex21.com/ *
* CGI/Java Consulting *
* "I didn't just kill one... And I didn't just kill ten... I killed a *
* thousand... I killed TEN THOUSAND... When mothers warned their children *
* of monsters, it was ME they were talking about! I was the nightmare that *
* kept them awake. I was death on a horse! And I didn't do it for land or *
* for anything they had or did... I did it because I ENJOYED it... Is THAT *
* what you wanted to hear?" *
* Mythos to MacLeod - Highlander *
xml-dev: A list for W3C XML Developers. To post, mailto:xml-dev at ic.ac.uk
Archived as: http://www.lists.ic.ac.uk/hypermail/xml-dev/ and on CD-ROM/ISBN 981-02-3594-1
To (un)subscribe, mailto:majordomo at ic.ac.uk the following message;
To subscribe to the digests, mailto:majordomo at ic.ac.uk the following message;
List coordinator, Henry Rzepa (mailto:rzepa at ic.ac.uk)
More information about the Xml-dev