Simple DOM question

Warren Hedley w.hedley at auckland.ac.nz
Thu Aug 19 00:02:52 BST 1999

Hi XML-DEV

I'm trying to write a Java application where as many classes as
possible only use the DOM API, and only a few use specific
parsers. Anyway, say I read in something like

<rootElement>
  <link-childElement href="childElement.xml">
</rootElement>

and I then go and read "childElement.xml" and want to replace
the <link-childElement> in the original DOM with the
<childElement> I found in that file. A fairly common problem
I'm sure.

Unfortunately I didn't read the method detail for
w3c.org.dom.Node.replaceChild(Node, Node) before starting, and
found I'm not allowed to insert nodes from one document into
another.

Is there a mechanism within the DOM API to do this? I would like
to use DCXJP's XQL-like selectNodes() method to perform searches
through a tree assembled from a number of documents.

If not in the DOM API, are there any common free parser toolkits
(DCXJP, XML4J) that will let you do this kind of thing?

Thanks in advance

--
Warren Hedley
Department of Engineering Science