Xanadu/Udanax

Oren Ben-Kiki oren at capella.co.il
Wed Aug 25 12:34:36 BST 1999

I've just seen the release of the legendary Xanadu system into open source
(see http://www.udanax.com/). I hadn't the time to delve into the details
but it seems they've put a lot of thought into "Web" data models. They
certainly claim some pretty strong results. Is there anyone examining how
relevant these results are to XML?

<Trolling>
XML got started with a focus on seperating content from presentation. It got
into pretty deep water when it started to address issues of linking,
embedding, versioning and so on. Xanadu on the other hand seemed to focus on
these issues, disregarding the presentation issues. So it would seem like
each complements the other.

And, of course, we must get them to work together - after all, _both_ are
fated to replace the current HTML Web :-)
</Trolling>

Have fun,

    Oren Ben-Kiki

List coordinator, Henry Rzepa (mailto:rzepa at ic.ac.uk)