DTD's in external Entities?

Binesh Bannerjee binesh at hex21.com
Thu Aug 26 19:27:10 BST 1999

On Thu, 26 Aug 1999, David Brownell wrote:

> External entities may not have DTDs.  They also may not have
> standalone='...'" attributes in their text declarations.  In
> both cases, the XML spec requires fatal errors to be reported;
> unless, that is, you've got a non-validating processor which
> isn't reading the external entity!
>
> If you find an "XML" processor which supports the nesting that
> you're trying, return it to the vendor for a full refund ... ;-)

OK... But, then how _do_ you go about including another document
inside your own? Or can a valid document _not_ include another
valid document? Must I create invalid document fragments and
separate DTD's if I just want to blend them all into a single
document?

(Since the absence of a DTD makes a doc not valid, right?)

Binesh

> - Dave

* There's nothing wrong with me...            http://www.panix.com/~binesh *
* There's something wrong with the universe.         http://www.hex21.com/ *
* Q. What if I want to have sex before marriage?       CGI/Java Consulting *
* A. Well then, you'll just have to be prepared to die.                    *
*                     Sex education, shown on CBS's <60 Minutes>, 6 Mar 94 *

List coordinator, Henry Rzepa (mailto:rzepa at ic.ac.uk)