DTD's in external Entities?

Elliotte Rusty Harold elharo at metalab.unc.edu
Sun Aug 29 00:58:30 BST 1999

At 10:11 AM -0400 8/27/99, Binesh Bannerjee wrote:
>On Fri, 27 Aug 1999, Elliotte Rusty Harold wrote:
>

>> Eventually this may be possible through XLinks and XML fragments, but it
>> isn't possible using straight DTDs and external entities.
>
>So, does this mean in your book on XML (ISBN 0-7645-3199-9), Listing 6-17
>won't really work?

Listing 6-17 in XML: Extensible Markup Language works, but only if the
three referenced external entities (header.xml, footer.xml, and body.xml)
don't have document type declarations. If they do the parser will reject
them.

>That's a bummer... I could have used that... Oh well, I guess I'll
>_have_ to store the DTD _fragments_ and the data separately and then have
>a meta program that will dynamically weave together a full DTD... But
>I thought XML would save me from that...

Yes, that's pretty much what you have to do.

|               Java I/O (O'Reilly & Associates, 1999)               |
|            http://metalab.unc.edu/javafaq/books/javaio/            |
|   http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ISBN=1565924851/cafeaulaitA/   |
|  Read Cafe au Lait for Java News:  http://metalab.unc.edu/javafaq/ |
|  Read Cafe con Leche for XML News: http://metalab.unc.edu/xml/     |