[Fwd: ATTN: Please comment on XHTML (before it's too late)]

W. Eliot Kimber eliot at isogen.com
Sun Aug 29 21:07:11 BST 1999

Ann Navarro wrote:

> At 07:31 PM 8/29/99 +0100, W. Eliot Kimber wrote:
>
> >XHTML defines three distinct (but related) document types, each with its
> >own DTD declarations, etc. Each of these document types *is considered
> >to be* the definition of the corresponding name spaces x, y, and z.
>
> No,
>
> >That is, it's not meaningful to say that a DTD *has* a name space,
> >because a name space isn't something that a DTD can have.
>
> Again, I've not said that a DTD *has a name space*.
>
> I'm saying:
>
> There are three flavors of XHTML 1.0 (that distinction of 1.0 vs 'XHTML' is
> important).
> Each has a namespace.
> Each has a DTD.

What part of "each has a namespace" isn't "has a name space"? XHTML
defines is a document type or a a set of document types. Each document
type presumably defines a vocabulary of names. This set of names *is* a
name space. That name space may have a name (or names). But the
vocabulary *cannot have* a name space, it *defines* a name space.  Note
that by "document type definition" I do not mean the DTD declarations, I
mean the XHTML specification itself (or rather, those part of it that
define sets of element types and attributes).

That's all I'm saying.

It's hair splitting, but technical standardization requires absolute
precision of language.

Cheers,

E.

List coordinator, Henry Rzepa (mailto:rzepa at ic.ac.uk)