Another look at namespaces

Don Park donpark at docuverse.com
Tue Aug 31 01:46:23 BST 1999

Paul,

>If we develop this mechanism now then the first wave of XHTML software
>will be automatically ready for XHTML 2.0 (not to mention
>e-commerce). I
>can understand the wish to delay the problem but it just means that we
>cause a train wreck later on. I am deathly afraid, however, that if we
>set a precedent of pretending that these three variants are "one
>language" we will continue down that path as we develop more and more
>incompatible new versions.

I respect your wisdom, but:

I feel that planning too far out is just as dangerous as being too
short-sighted.  Can you provide us with some examples of the kind of
problems that might necessitate incompatible changes to XHTML?  Why penalize
the masses with the some unforseeable need?

I also feel that if future versions of XHTML are incompatible with XHTML 1.0
then they should not be called XHTML in the first place.  Why confuse the
masses by treating incompatible standards as one?

Best,

Don Park    -   mailto:donpark at docuverse.com
Docuverse   -   http://www.docuverse.com

mailto:xml-dev at ic.ac.uk