why distinctions within XHTML?

Ann Navarro ann at webgeek.com
Tue Aug 31 16:17:50 BST 1999

At 12:08 AM 8/31/99 -0700, David Brownell wrote:
>Ann Navarro wrote:
>>
>> Part of the problem here is what is and what isn't confidential discussions
>> in a WG. If this were a W3C-internal list, I could be more forthcoming ...
>
>And of course, that's the cause of a lot of the problems.
>
>The more I watch things at W3C, the more I feel that the Web should be
>driven instead by a standards organization with public accountability.
>Being accountable to vendors who have vested interests in bloatware (as
>key parts of new barriers to entry) isn't the right model.

Take a look at the membership list: http://www.w3.org/Consortium/Member/List

While there are certainly the large industry players on there, there's lots
of little guys -- and indeed my own constituency (the HTML Writers Guild),
effectively represents 100,000 individual little guys. We're not
"accountable to vendors....". We act on our own behalf, and have the same
power as any other participant. Our Microsoft participant doesn't get his
way any more than anyone else does :)

Ann

---

Author of Effective Web Design: Master the Essentials
Coming in September --- Mastering XML

Founder, WebGeek Communications            http://www.webgeek.com
Vice President-Finance, HTML Writers Guild http://www.hwg.org
Director, HWG Online Education             http://www.hwg.org/services/classes