why distinctions within XHTML?

Blair Murri BMurri at wavephore.net
Tue Aug 31 19:16:40 BST 1999

	I agree with Dave.  The more I look, the more I am convinced that
the W3C is not the right standards body to deal with XML, which is being
employed in many arenas that have absolutely nothing to do with the web.  In
fact, if/when the true potential of XML is realized, the web will be a minor
player in that.  SGML is/was not the native language of the web.  HTML was
derived for that purpose.  XML is/has the potential to be used for much more
then internet publishing of information.  The web has benefited from many
technological contributions, many of which predate the web by a couple of
decades, and most of the technology that goes into it is not at all web
specific (connection oriented stream TCP communications, MIME,
request/response, etc.).  To think that XML is a web-only or even a
web-mostly language is to miss the boat so far as to not even notice the
ripples.

	Frankly, one has to question the W3C's ability to deliver a good
product (I mean, *3* version 4 HTML's?????)  Let's get real here.  This body
has only one goal in mind, and that is to create *us* and *them*, and leave
*us* on top no matter the cost.

Blair L. Murri
Sr. Programmer/etc.
WavePhore, Inc.