ATTN: Please comment on XHTML (before it's too late)

David Brownell david-b at pacbell.net
Tue Aug 31 22:14:20 BST 1999

Tim Bray wrote:

> At 07:19 PM 8/28/99 -0400, David Megginson wrote:
> >For those of you who haven't noticed, XHTML has gone to Proposed
> >Recommendation (PR) status at the W3C:
> >
> >  http://www.w3.org/TR/xhtml1
> >
> >Unlike the last XHTML Working Draft, this PR has reverted to defining
> >*three* separate XHTML Namespace URIs (transitional, strict, and
> >frameset) with the threat of more HTML Namespaces in the future.
>
> Just wanted to place on the record the fact that I agree totally with
> David.  Since an HTML <p> or <h2> or <br> has the same import for 99.99999%
> of applications that care about this tag vocabulary at all (yes, Ann, even
> if it says align='center'), it's just nuts to make them pretend that HTML
> is three different languages.

In case it's unclear ... me three!  ;-)

Apologies for spending more electrons in this cause, but it does
get rather annoying to see W3C reversing the resolution that had been
in the previous public draft (5/5/1999), without offering any sort
of motivation for the change.  (Other than perhaps "because we can
force this down your throats, want to, and will do so".)

- Dave

List coordinator, Henry Rzepa (mailto:rzepa at ic.ac.uk)