Some questions

Matthew Gertner matthew at praxis.cz
Wed Dec 1 22:20:07 GMT 1999

David Megginson wrote:
> It's a shame, because RDF is very nice for exchanging object-oriented
> information among loosely-coupled systems, and there's some good Perl
> and Java support for it already available (I'm sure the Python people
> will get in there quickly).

I can see the enormous interest in having a text-based format for
exchanging object-oriented data. But can't this be done with a good
object-oriented XML schema language, of the which the current W3C seems
to be a very good start? I read Tim's paper on xml.com, and he argues
against the use of XML (without an additional syntax) for representing
metadata with two arguments, both based on scalability. But if metadata
are attached in a separate document, as RDF metadata would presumably
be, they could expressed just as concisely (and probably more so) by
using an XML instance based on a simple (but extensible) XML schema. The
latter would be preferably because am extensible schema language is an
important tool in its own right.

Matthew