Some questions

Jeffrey E. Sussna jes at kuantech.com
Thu Dec 2 00:18:39 GMT 1999

It's funny: when you talk about RDF, it seems very complex, but when you use
it, it seems very simple. I am using RDF as an interchange format for
metadata about assets in a distributed publishing environment. I have, for
example, a photo of a car racer. I need to know who the racer in the picture
is, who took the picture, what format it was taken in (i.e., JPEG), what
date it was taken on, and so forth. RDF works just gorgeously for this. As
to whether it's suitable for all conceivable object interchange, I don't
know and I'm not sure I care since I only try to use RDF for its intended
purpose (metadata). I actually think the "meta" part is what makes the spec
comprehensible, because I can always return to a specific purpose. I believe
that RDF went too far with its syntax to try to make virtually every XML
document valid RDF. If you want to define a metadata language, define one.
If you want to define a general object interchange language, define that
instead.

Jeff