ANNOUNCE: XML Query Engine

Liam R. E. Quin liamquin at interlog.com
Fri Dec 3 07:27:41 GMT 1999

On Thu, 2 Dec 1999, Howard Katz wrote:

> XML Query Engine is a full-text search-and-retrieval engine for
> XML documents. A JavaBean
> component, XML Query Engine can index single or multiple well-formed
> XML documents using any
> SAX-based parser.

I think this is interesting, but I wonder about the performance.
There are two main reasons  for using text retrieval, as I see it.
(1) for searching a large body of text significantly more quickly than
    with grep

(2) for kinds of search not otherwise possible, such as searches that
    span words, or that include stemming, synonyms or other morphological
    and linguistic analysis, or that include document structure or other
    "fielded" searches.

> The query engine builds an in-memory representation of the content and
> structure of the indexed documents.
This sounds like an interesting proof of concept...
but if I am searching, say, five gigabytes of text, what
will happen?

Indexing speed is also an issue.

So I assume the main purpose of this tool is to experiment
with XPath/XQL, is that fair??

Lee

and yes, I'd like a copy!  thanks :-)

--
Liam Quin, Barefoot Computing, Toronto;  The barefoot agitator
l i a m    at    h o l o w e b    dot    n e t