INTERFACE {was SGML, XML and SML, ugh!}

Bill dehOra Wdehora at cromwellmedia.co.uk
Fri Dec 3 13:23:55 GMT 1999

    :  The other day, I had this idea about solving the
    :  display problem for mobile computering.  While I
    :  do not think it is implementable right now, I do
    :  not think it is impossible.
    :
    :  The problem: large displays for mobile device.
    :  The solution: public display walls that shows
    :  different views to to different people simul-
    :  taneously.  Multithreaded display of sort. <g>
    :
    :  Technology wise, I think the pixels will have to
    :  protrude like a small pyramid to show multiple
    :  views and multiplexed to coincide with the viewer's
    :  eyeglass which includes LCD shutters.  Interesting
    :  stuff to muse about.  Not much privacy barrier but
    :  I think it might make sense in certain applications.
    :

That's a cool idea, but unnecessary, given that we will have HUD's *within*
spectacles in a decade or so, making the wall displays redundant. Combine
spectacles with headphones and voice recognition, maybe with a small keypad
you have a complete mobile computing environment. You can get context driven
information about the environment (a la GSM), giving you an augmented
reality, which IMHO will dwarf what is happening with the internet now. All
we really need are some advances in battery technology, and reality is in
for a comeback. Anyone for RML?

regards,

Bill de hOra