RDF, again

Shaw Tim tshw at capitalmarketscompany.com
Fri Dec 3 14:50:30 GMT 1999

Given a piece of data, described by a name within a namespace, I would like
to be able to determine the 'equivalent' data (and it's name) within another
namespace. I don't mind 'finding' the data, but I need to be able to
determine it's 'new' name within the new namespace.
I think that, the way things are going (and have always been), it's
necessary to have such a mechanism. From my (limited) understanding of RDF,
it's not able to give me the 'hook' to do this.
This, to my mind, is the equivalent of automated natural language
translation, where XML is the alphabet, the Namespace is the Dictionary and
DTD's or Schemata are the Grammar (and the data is the ...? - analogy breaks
down here in my overloaded braincell!).

We (humans) have always had a problem communicating across language
boundaries - can we not define a mechanism such that we do not propagate
this problem to XML?
People will continue to define their own grammars for specific purposes -
what about asking them to 'translate' their Dictionary into Esperanto so
that others can use their ... whatever words would map to (meaning?).

I'm all for encouraging diversity, but if people want to share something
they need to be able to define it in such a way that it can be understood by
others - without having to worry exactly _which_ others. We are in danger of
splitting it all up into dialects understandable only to small groups - and
that, it seems to me, is exactly why we went for XML in the first place!

tim

The information in this email is confidential and is intended solely
for the addressee(s).
Access to this email by anyone else is unauthorised. If you are	not
an intended recipient, you must not read, use or disseminate the
information contained in the email.
The Capital Markets Company.

http://www.capitalmarketscompany.com