Request for Discussion: SAX 1.0 in C++

uche.ogbuji at fourthought.com uche.ogbuji at fourthought.com
Fri Dec 3 18:08:58 GMT 1999

> I think that there is a growing need for a common C++ SAX 1.0
> interface as XML moves more and more into high-performance
> environments.  I have kept pointers that people sent to quite a few
> existing attempts, but before I look those over, I'd like to try my
> own off the top of my head.
>
> I'll be posting three follow-up messages on SAX/C++ to stimulate
> discussion:
>
> 1. Some C++-specific SAX design principles.
> 2. Implementation changes required or possible in C++.
> 3. My first stab at a core SAX 1.0 C++ interface.
>
> I know that SAX2 is still being neglected, and I apologize.

I would really like you to reconsider this ordering of priorities.  SAX2 is
urgently needed for DOM implementors and developers of XSLT engines with
streaming output.  You have done an admirable job of leading the SAX and SAX2
development, and it is dying without your output.  Now if you were simply
buried with 9-5 work, and couldn't lend your efforts, it would be
understandable.  But to detract from SAX2 in order to focus on SAX/C++, I
think is muddling the priorities.

--
Uche Ogbuji
FourThought LLC, IT Consultants