SGML the next big thing?

Rick Jelliffe ricko at allette.com.au
Sat Dec 4 07:38:13 GMT 1999

>  From: Arnold, Curt <Curt.Arnold at hyprotech.com

>Erlend Xverby [Erlend.Overby at usit.uio.no] wrote
>
>>>What we don't need from the SGML standard:
>>> - SGML Declaration
>>> - Character entities
>>> - Minimisation
>>> - The "&" construct
>
>It looks like the XML Schema group is trying to add back the &
construct.

XFM looks to me like a kind of SGML Declaration, in that it says which
features are needed to process a document.  Similarly there is a
well-known need in XML to allow non-standard characters/glyphs (for
mathematics, advertising and Chinese especially) so it is not impossible
that there may be increased development (whether looking like entities
or numeric character references) towards better character entities too.

That only leaves minimization.  That is perhaps the nicest thing in
HTML, and perhaps will be the only SGML thing that won't be reintroduced
in the fullness of time.

Rick Jelliffe