[YML] Re: YML: A Grand Unification of SAX and DOM? (fwd)

Clark C. Evans clark.evans at manhattanproject.com
Sun Dec 5 00:23:00 GMT 1999

On Sat, 4 Dec 1999, Paul Tchistopolskii wrote:
> I think it's because you are concentrated on
> another task than I am. I'm thinking about
> mixing streaming and Groves for processing
> XML ( SML ) documents.

Sounds similar enough... and  our end goal is the
same, a more efficient XSL processor.

> Your approach is : "if we'l write our document
> providing some extra information, it'l be easier
> for processing API to make a desision how
> to process it".

Let me re-prase:  "if we design our documents
in such a way that the information dependencies
are identified, and we use a syntax to demark these
dependencies, then a parser can better support
the processor by providing either sequential or
random access depending upon the context."

> Even I found your proposal to be very elegant,
> I dont like that idea in principle. It's the attributish
> way  when one  is marking  'road-signs'  or 'pockets'
> in the document. Document sould be about the content,
> not about the 'road-signs' , PI's,  and some other stuff
>
> Stylesheet  is  about processing ;-)

Far enough.. but I would say that stylesheets are
about transforming, not about providing the information
in an accessable way that supports the dependencies.

> I'l prefer to attach the 'road-signs'  at  runtime.

Well, you will have do to this based on some distinction.
I'd be interested to see what you pick in the end.  I'm
putting it at the syntax level so that the designers
of the content can have control over it.

> I see 2 ways for now  to change processing of the
> XML ( SML ) documents not changing the documents
> themselvs.
>
>     simple SAX-based 'switcher'
>     reverse-polish-noitation view
>
> After I'l understand what way makes life easier for
> streaming XSLT I may write more. It is  all getting
> hard.

Cool.  I'd like to hear more about the RPN view.
This sounds interesting.

;) Clark