SAX/C++: First interface draft

Steinar Bang sb at metis.no
Mon Dec 6 08:35:08 GMT 1999

> Actually, I don't see any strong argument not to provide empty inline
> implementations for the handler callbacks:

Inlined virtuals will cause an instantiation of the vtable and the
function bodies in _every_ compilation unit the header file is
included into (ref. Scott Meyers "More Effective C++", Item 24 pp
118).

This is a size cost that can be easily avoided.

I'm also coming more and more to the conclusion that even trivial
non-virtual function bodies should not be inlined, _unless_ there is a
clear performance reason to do so.

This is because even trivial inlined function occasinally needs to be
changed and changing something in a headerfile causes recompilation.