A processing instruction for robots

Lars Marius Garshol larsga at garshol.priv.no
Mon Dec 6 09:31:29 GMT 1999

* Don Park

| Walter,
| Could you elaborate your decision to use PI rather than element(s)?

I'm not Walter, but to me this has the obvious advantage that it can
be used completely orthogonally to the document contents and the
software used to process the document for non-indexing purposes.

Of course, it works poorly with SML, and IMHO this (and the
"Associating stylesheets with XML documents" recommendation) are good
arguments for including PIs in SML, even if only before the document
element.

No doubt there will be other proposals of this sort, and if these are
all specified in terms of elements writing application-specific
processing software will be hell unless we either start using
architectures or mandate the use of namespaces in processing. And even
then it might still be hell for various reasons, especially the
namespace solution.

So IMHO PIs are the right choice for this.

--Lars M.