A question on nomenclature

James Tauber jtauber at jtauber.com
Tue Dec 7 05:03:14 GMT 1999

> <name>
>   <first/>
>   <middle/>
>   <last/>
> </name>
>
> A simple question.  What is that?
>
> My choices so far:
> -an "application of XML", or possibly just "application", although this
> would cause confusion with "application" as defined in the spec.
> -a "vocabulary" (the one I personally use, although I may change after
this
> thread...)
> -a "grammar"

It's a "schema". It happens to be in a particular schema language that is
kind of "schema-by-example" but it is a schema nevertheless. Schemas are
grammars so it's a "grammar" too.

I tend to use the term "vocabulary" to mean a set of element type (and their
attribute) names not necessarily with defined content specifications.
However, many people use "vocabulary" to mean the same as "schema" and
"grammar".

My AUD0.02

James Tauber