Appending to an XML document

Don Park donpark at docuverse.com
Wed Dec 8 00:26:06 GMT 1999

I ran into this as well when working on XLF (eXtensible Log
Format).  At that time, I was not into SML, so the solution
was to store entries in an external parsed entity and have
a wrapper XML document that just defined the entity inside
the document element.

Looking back at what I did with a new perspective/attitude,
namely SML, I now have a different solution.  All you need
to do is redefine your idea of an XML document and refrain
from using certain features of XML.

If you do not use any part of the 'prolog' and 'Misc'
production rules in the XML 1.0 spec, and if you detach
the notion of an XML document being a file, you can send
or store multiple XML documents in a single stream or file.

Appending is now just a matter of appending an XML document
to the end of a file or a stream.

Best,

Don Park    -   mailto:donpark at docuverse.com
Docuverse   -   http://www.docuverse.com