SML and I18N

MURATA Makoto murata.makoto at fujixerox.co.jp
Wed Dec 8 04:55:05 GMT 1999

Rick Jelliffe wrote:
>Where I am, here in Taiwan, the main question people ask is "how do I
>represent a document in Big5 in XML?". So moving to ASCII or even to
>only UTF-8 will make SML into a US-only or Western-only language. The
>simplifications proposed so far seem a gigantic step backwards away from
>a "World Wide Web" and back 20 (or even 5?) years to a world where rich
>white countries developed technology which created a technological poverty
>in non-Western countries.

I am totally against weakening I18N of XML 1.0.  Even 1% trim down is
absolutely completely unacceptable to me.  Legacy encodings, natural language
markup, the xml:lang attribute, encoding declarations, the charset parameter,
and numeric character references must be preserved.  If SML omits any of them,
SML is not for the World Wide Web.

Makoto

Fuji Xerox Information Systems

Tel: +81-44-812-7230   Fax: +81-44-812-7231
E-mail: murata.makoto at fujixerox.co.jp