Appending to an XML document

Ingo Macherius macherius at darmstadt.gmd.de
Fri Dec 10 16:26:55 GMT 1999

Uche,

using entities of any kind does not change the underlying data model.
It's syntactic shugar, nothing more. The root of the problem (and a
great help in other cases) is indeed the fact that any XML 1.0
document must have a single root.

There are several fields where this is assumend a problem, just think
e.g. of the return values of XPath or XQL expression, which rarely
are single-rooted. Think how often you have heared the term "virtual
root node" recently. Think of Murata's "forest automata". Forest, not
tree. Guess why.

However, plainly dropping the tree structure of XML is too hasty. The
main problem here is the fact that there is not much between a tree
and a general DAG (graph). Oodles of folks are in search for a
convenient data model just in the middle of tree and graph. This
would help to truly merge hyperlinks, RDF and XML. Check
http://www.w3.org/TR/schema-arch

Thus: entities are truely no soulution. However, so far nobody
succeded in suggesting a "true" non-tree data model for XML.

	++im

--
Ingo Macherius//Dolivostrasse 15//D-64293 Darmstadt//+49-6151-869-882
GMD-IPSI German National Research Center for Information Technology