XML Design Patterns

Liam R. E. Quin liamquin at interlog.com
Mon Dec 13 00:29:40 GMT 1999

On Sun, 12 Dec 1999, Rick Jelliffe wrote:

> 1) The first is Ian Graham and Liam Quin's web pages "Introduction to
> XML Design Patterns" at
> http://www.groveware.com/xmlbook/patterns.html

Thanks for mentioning this, Rick.

> This is just a teaser site: I expect (or at least, I would love to see)
> a full book or website along those lines.
I'd like to do more, but I'm too busy writing the xml database book
right now :|  And Ian is busy with his HTML books.

I'd like to write more about computer typography & xml, too.

[...]
>     * There was some opposition to the idea that you could usefully
> construct DTDs from prefabricated components, rather than by doing
> extensive document analysis.

There was opposition to programming languages too, since assembly
languages are "more efficient".  Object Oriented programming
has introduced "inefficiencies" too, at the hardware level, but
the extra efficiencies at the software level more than pays for
the difference.

I do agree that design patterns can be misused, both in programming
and elsewhere.  You have to do the analysis and then apply the
patterns.

I think they are most useful to learn from, not to apply blindly.

Lee

--
Liam Quin, Barefoot Computing, Toronto;  The barefoot wizard
l i a m    at    h o l o w e b    dot    n e t