How "final" is the new proposed recommendation for XHTML

David Megginson david at megginson.com
Tue Dec 14 15:44:21 GMT 1999

alexis at overtheweb.com (Alexis D. Gutzman) writes:

> I've been asked to submit a proposal to IDG Books for the XHTML
> Bible, but because of the controversy surrounding the XHTML spec,
> we're not sure whether to write against this spec, or wait.  I'd
> appreciate your thoughts on how "final" this proposed recommendation
> is.
>
> What is your sense about how well the new proposed recommendation
> for XHTML 1.0 released yesterday will be received?  Are you
> generally satisfied with the changes to the namespace definition?
> Any guesses on when/whether it will be approved?

Since the question arrived publicly, I'll answer it publicly as well.
>From my quick initial skim (as an outsider), I'll hazard a guess that
this spec will gain acceptance -- it's clear that the HTML WG listened
very careful to comments, not only from W3C members but from the user
community at large.

As for timing, with Christmas coming not much more is likely to happen
until January, and then the whole approval process can still take a
couple of months.  I very much hope that the W3C will choose to
fast-track this one, though, since it is fairly important.

All the best,

David

David Megginson                 david at megginson.com
           http://www.megginson.com/