XML parsing memory overhead concerns (fwd)

Clark C. Evans clark.evans at manhattanproject.com
Sat Dec 18 17:41:41 GMT 1999

On Sat, 18 Dec 1999, Paul Miller wrote:
> Another issue is expat's license. I'm not very familiar with the Mozilla
> license, but presumably anything I build on top would also require the
> Mozilla (or GPL) license. I personally feel the GPL license is too
> restrictive. Does Mozilla let code be used in commercial products where
> source code is not made available? That's my main requirement.

I'm not sure; you may be able to link to an expat
shared library from a commercial product using
Mozilla... also the GPL is slightly blurry here,
XML is on its way to becoming a "core" / operating
system level service.  Perhaps James Clark would
release it under the LGPL instead?

This issue aside, you could layer your approach,
providing a much simpler (SML?) parser instead
of a full blown XML one.

Clark