What is the reasoning why a well-formed XML text cannot have multiple top level elements?

Clark C. Evans clark.evans at manhattanproject.com
Mon Dec 20 03:16:06 GMT 1999

I guess the title says it all.

It just seems that two domains, log files and continuous
broadcasts are left out in the cold with this seemingly
arbitrary choice.  So, I'm looking for answers *other*
than the following:

  0. Beacuse the spec says so.

  1. To stay compatible with SGML, so XML documents
     can be used in SGML processors.

  3. Beacuse XML is syntax for *documents* ; it was
     never intended to be a general *information* syntax.

Thanks!

Clark

P.S. Yes, I'm familar with the Document Fragment NOTE, this
is exactly why I'm asking the question.