SAX2: Namespace proposal

David Megginson david at megginson.com
Mon Dec 20 20:15:02 GMT 1999

Tim Bray writes:
 > At 03:45 PM 12/18/99 -0500, David Megginson wrote:

 > >That said, I think that the best solution in SAX2 will be to allow
 > >either or both Namespace-qualified and raw XML names.  People seem to
 > >want both, and although I *strongly* disagree, DOM2 has decided to
 > >provide what should be irrelevant information about the original
 > >prefix used.
 >
 > Actually, as I just finished arguing in response to your other note,
 > I think what people care about is having the prefix/uri mapping available,
 > not knowing what prefix was actually used.  Have I missed something? Is
 > there an application scenario where you get
 >
 > <a xmlns:a="http://x.com" xmlns:b="http://x.com">
 >   <a:foo /><b:bar />
 >   </a>
 >
 > ...and you actually care that the foo and bar had different prefixes?
 > I'd find that really hard to believe.

Yeah, I do too, but so many people (some from big companies) have
sworn up and down on every holy book in Creation that they need that
kind of thing -- and managed to convince the DOM WG to include it in
DOM2 -- that I simply have to assume myself (and Tim) wrong.  At least
with James's proposal, this silliness won't have to be in people's
faces unless they explicitly request it.

All the best,

David

David Megginson                 david at megginson.com
           http://www.megginson.com/