SAX2: Namespace proposal

Joe Lapp jlapp at webmethods.com
Tue Dec 21 13:42:20 GMT 1999

At 12:02 PM 12/21/1999 +0000, Miles Sabin wrote:
>This is one of the big problems with intern'ing IMO. The cost
>of intern'ing those args (either done externally by the client
>app, or internally by a library) wipes out the potential
>benfits.

If you can intern a name once and repeatedly use a ref to that
intern, you do gain benefits.  SAX itself might suffer a hit
doing all the interning, but it saves the app from taking a hit
doing all the string compares, assuming the app can repeatedly
do string compares using the same intern ref of its own naming.
Whether savings are realized depends on the application.

I'm just questioning the use of intern in document APIs.  We
use a special name object instead and force the app to select
the appropriate name object to hand to the API.  By using
String args you aren't forcing the app to use only interned
objects, so you set yourself up for having to deal with both
interned and non-interned Strings.  This leaves you with a
large performance hit to discover that a requested name is
not there.

Your paragraph would be more accurate to me if it said that the
cost of interning potentially wipes out its benefits.
--
Joe Lapp              (Looking for some good people to help design
Principal Architect    and build the Internet's business-to-business