SAX2: Exceptions

Mark D. Anderson mda at discerning.com
Tue Dec 21 21:53:36 GMT 1999

> > which ones are continuable?
>
> Neither Java nor C++ has "continuable" exceptions; what are you
> talking about?

sorry, i didn't mean it in the technical sense.
but instead asking whether all exceptions are going to be "fatal".
personally i prefer that -- i don't like using exceptions as a
message sending mechanism. but then there does need to be a way
to signal warnings that don't mean that parsing can't be continued,
if you follow my double-negative drift.

> > there are also potential MT issues which i mentioned on a SAX2 thread
> > a few weeks ago.
>
> Perhaps you could give a pointer to the archive entry.

this was intermixed in the "SAX/C++: C++-specific design principles" thread
at http://www.lists.ic.ac.uk/hypermail/xml-dev/xml-dev-Dec-1999/0368.html

> There should be no MT issues, beyond the fact that multithreaded C++
> isn't standardized.  Any "catch" clauses clearly need to operate in
> exactly the context of the thread whose stack is being unwound, and
> be able to release locks owned by that thread.

i didn't mean anything as deep as that. actually it isn't an MT issue
so much as a multiple use issue -- the last draft i examined appeared
not to have enough information in the exception data structure for
me to recover which of possibly multiple parsing activities it is
related to (in case i've got a single catch at top level, whether ST or MT).

-mda