SAX2: Parser interface

David Megginson david at megginson.com
Wed Dec 22 15:55:48 GMT 1999

Leigh Dodds writes:

 > Couldn't there be a SAX2 Handler interface
 >
 > public interface Handler
 > {
 > }
 >
 > which marks a SAX2 Handler. The other handler interfaces are subclasses
 > of this.

I proposed this originally last spring and it was roundly shot down.
If people are more comfortable with the idea, I'd be happy to add it
back in.

 Giving a generic:

 > public void setHandler(Handler handler, String identifier)
 > 	throws SAXNotRecognizedException, SAXNotSupportedException;
 >
 > - identifiers for the standard handlers can be provided (e.g. as
 > public final constants)
 >
 > - additional extended handlers use the same method to register, only
 > using the appropriate URI identifier as you suggest.
 >
 > IMHO this is a cleaner way of registering handlers. I don't have to
 > remember that one Handler is registered explicitly (setDTDHandler) and
 > another through
 > a setProperty call. A Handler isNotA property.

Hmm -- I don't know about this part.  I think that it's still
convenient to have explicit setters for the core handler types.

All the best,

David

David Megginson                 david at megginson.com
           http://www.megginson.com/