Survey: Catalysis Templates

Fabio Arciniegas A. l-arcini at uniandes.edu.co
Thu Dec 23 12:27:54 GMT 1999

[Sorry if this arrives more than once, I've had problems with latest
postings]

Hi,

> <snip/>....., but it's definition of "framework" is somewhat
> different from the more general notion of frameworks in UML.

Right, it is different from most definitions of "framework". Basically
what it says is that a framework is a template model of something(...anything: a
spec, a design, anything...) plus information about assumptions on the
replacement of parameters, all inside a package.

> I ask because I think that Frameworks as defined by Catalysis are
> similar to, if not identical to the concept of document architectures as
> defined in the HyTime standard.

Right. Nice observation. A particular subset of "frameworks", namely
document t model templates are quite similar to what is defined by HyTime.

>I'm wondering whether or not talking
> about "frameworks" or "model templates" would mean more to the typical
> XML developer than does talking about "architectures".

*finally* getting to your question :), I think the term "model templates"
could mean more to the typical XML programmer with no architectures
experience than the term "architectures" because of the much popular use of
"architectures" as "high level structural/functional view of a system". As
for the term "Framework", IMHO the way its used on catalysis is too
restrictive...anyway I don't think it would do as well as "model
templates" also because other meanings are more strongly rooted.

Best,
	Fabio

> Thanks,
>
> Eliot
>
> xml-dev: A list for W3C XML Developers. To post, mailto:xml-dev at ic.ac.uk
> Archived as: http://www.lists.ic.ac.uk/hypermail/xml-dev/ and on
CD-ROM/ISBN 981-02-3594-1

--
Fabio Arciniegas A.		        Viaduct Technologies, Inc.
fabio at viaduct.com			Software Engineer

--
Fabio Arciniegas Arjona
l-arcini at uniandes.edu.co