attribute values as qnames?

Mark D. Anderson mda at discerning.com
Fri Dec 24 22:09:04 GMT 1999

This issue is now freaking me out less, now that I've concluded
that any processor will either:

- expand prefixes for *both* its control info (stylesheet, etc.)
and the document instance(s)
- not expand any, in either place

So if I just make sure I use the same prefix as the source
document, I stand a chance of being immune if I switch from
a processor that does not treat them as qnames, to
a different processor (or version) which decides it will.

The other trick I've seen in a few places, which I might
use, is to use an entity instead of a prefix:
  <el myattr="&someprefix;keyword"/>
I can just set in one place whether that someprefix is a prefix
or a full URI.
That approach also would allow me to be both forward and
backward looking, my favorite pasttime.

-mda