Wish lists for the Holidays

Simon St.Laurent simonstl at simonstl.com
Tue Dec 28 02:46:32 GMT 1999

At 04:31 PM 12/24/99 -0800, Don Park wrote:
>Atomic XML standards are one page specs each of which defines
>a single 'power word', a tag name or an attribute name.  An
>example is 'xmlns' or 'table'.
>
>Molecular XML standards are small specs each of which defines
>a single 'power phrase', a micro-schema involving just a few
>elements.  An example is 'address' molecule that consists of
>small number of elements that make up an address.
>
>These 'micro-standards' will allow us to create a more coherent
>XML document standards as well as XML software that can 'learn'
>to handle new standards by plugging in new power words or phrases.

This is beautiful!  I'd love to see more projects that assemble smaller
pieces, rather than trying to create anew within gigantic frameworks.

This is the kind of approach that I think gives namespaces a good reason
for being, helping developers cope with lots of little fragments rather
than assuming that only their own vocabularies are worth using.  I'd love
to see these small parts standardized, and then reused as appropriate.  I
think it might make development of both XML document structures and XML
processing software a lot easier.

Based on these wish lists, it sounds like 2000 is pretty promising.  Are
there more folks with dreams for the next year?  XML-dev is a great place
to find people with similar needs and interests.
Simon St.Laurent
XML: A Primer, 2nd Ed.
Building XML Applications
Sharing Bandwidth / Cookies