Survey Catalysis

Fabio Arciniegas A. l-arcini at uniandes.edu.co
Wed Dec 29 18:49:42 GMT 1999

Well, I think there are three points of view here and basically three
analogies with traditional patterns:

1. The relation between the result of the mapping and the third party
interested in the final product: As you said this would be an "Adapter":
The third party expects a certain interface and an existing product is adapted
to conform to it.

2.The relation between the mapped element and the architectural form: this
is -as Didier noted- an "Interface" ("Marker Interface"[Larman] maybe
would be more appropriate, since there purpose of the mapping is to signal the mapped
product as something)

3.The Architecture structure as a "Model Template". (This is the way I
originally understood the survey, because of the reference to  Catalysis
notion of framework). The Architecture provides a structure that is
specialized via the mapping of other constructs to the template.

Best,
	Fabio

> I think an even better match from programming is the "Adapter" pattern
from
> GoF[1].  To quote from the book an Adapter is used to "Convert the
interface of
> a class into another interface clients expect.  Adapter lets classes
work
> together that couldn't otherwise because of incompatible interfaces."
> If you change "class" to "document type" in the above, I think this
gives a
> perfect description of the intent of document architectures.
>
> Toivo Lainevool
>
> [1] Design Patterns: Elements of Reusable Object-Oriented Software.
Gamma,

--
Fabio Arciniegas A.		        Viaduct Technologies, Inc.
fabio at viaduct.com			Software Engineer

--
Fabio Arciniegas Arjona
l-arcini at uniandes.edu.co