Hierarchical namespaces?

Frank Boumphrey bckman at ix.netcom.com
Thu Dec 30 02:22:44 GMT 1999

I think that we need to remember that a namespace is just a unique name, it
is not an URI. URI's are used because they happen to be unique names
presumably under the control of the namespace author. There is nothing to
stop me from using 'superfragilisticexpialidocious' as a name space.

thus
xmlns='www.parts.com/computer/memory/sram'

and

xmlns= 'www.nextguy.com/computer-memory-sram'

may be technically the same URI, but they are different namespaces!

Frank