Hierarchical namespaces?

Clark C. Evans clark.evans at manhattanproject.com
Thu Dec 30 03:49:52 GMT 1999

On Wed, 29 Dec 1999, Tim Bray wrote:
> At 08:44 PM 12/29/99 -0500, Joe Lapp wrote:
> >So I'm thinking that we need a *standard* way to organize namespaces
> >hierarchically, and that we need one before namespace usage is so
> >widespread that we absolutely have to provide regex support.
>
> Sounds like a good idea.  How about a proposal?  Shorter is better.

I don't remember where, but I remember reading an example where
a URL was given as the xmlns URI -- pointing to an XmlSchema;
thus, not only uniquely defining the namespace, but also
identifying the element definitions in that namespace. So,
this is how I had seen namespaces being powerful, as a pointer
to meta-data.

That being said, I had never expected a set of namespaces
to have value by organizing them hierarchially... so I'm
wondering exactly what value a hierarchy of namespaces would
provide?  Would it be a sequence of ever-so-much-more-specific
schemas?  Where the most specific definition is the binding
one? I can't think of any other reasons why I'd have more
than one namespace for a given "domain", let alone a
hierarchically organized set.  What am I missing?

Thanks!

Clark