Hierarchical namespaces?

Sean Mc Grath digitome at iol.ie
Thu Dec 30 11:39:20 GMT 1999

[Joe Lapp]

>So I'm thinking that we need a *standard* way to organize namespaces
>hierarchically, and that we need one before namespace usage is so
>widespread that we absolutely have to provide regex support.
>
>But maybe I'm jumping the gun.  I haven't yet heard anyone scream out
>in pain, though I'm not sure we should be waiting for pain to come.

I am in violent agreement with this.
I believe I heard a scream some time ago - the multiple HTML namespace
debate. If a hieararchical HTML namespace mechanism existed,
evelopers simply wanting to match "p" in the sense of good-old HTML
could use a regexp. to find them. Developers interested in
HTML 4.0 "p" would provide more leaves in the hierarchical
namespace specification.

regards,

Sean,