Compositional Documents

Chris Berry CBerry at works.com
Tue Feb 2 18:13:05 GMT 1999

Greetings,
Sorry for the wasted bandwidth, but I posted this last night (without
a Subject) and did not receive any response.  I'm hoping this time
around I might be luckier...

I am a relative newbie to XML, so please bear w/ me if this is a poor
question...

It looks like everything in the DOM must be dealt w/ in the context of a
particular document. It seems you cannot drop one Document into another, or
even one DocumentFragment into another Document context. I have tried to do
the following... (using Microsoft's implementation of the DOM)

   IXMLDOMDocument doc = (IXMLDOMDocument) new DOMDocument();
   IDOMDocumentFragment docFrag = doc.createDocumentFragment();

   IDOMElement userElem = doc.createElement("USER");
   userElem.setAttribute("TIMESTAMP", new Variant("123456") );

   docFrag.appendChild( userElem );

   doc.appendChild( docFrag );
   System.out.println( doc.getXml() );   // >>>> Yields the correct results

   IXMLDOMDocument doc2 = (IXMLDOMDocument) new DOMDocument();
   doc2.appendChild( docFrag );
   System.out.println( doc2.getXml() );  // >>>> Yields an empty string

It seems like this should work to me. Shouldn't we be able to cut and paste
between documents?? Or more important, shouldn't we be able to build up
documents compositionally?? I.e. compose Address 1 and Address 2 as
DocumentFragments (or as their own Documents -- with their own DTDs)
and then drop these into, say, User (providing that the User DTD agrees).

I must be missing something here.
Thanks in advance,
Cheers,
-- Chris

Chris Berry            cberry at works.com          512-231-1341
works.com     6850 Austin Center Blvd.      Austin, TX 78731

List coordinator, Henry Rzepa (mailto:rzepa at ic.ac.uk)