Interesting Monday.

Paul Prescod paul at prescod.net
Wed Feb 3 04:54:59 GMT 1999

"Matthew Sergeant (EML)" wrote:

>         Nonononono. :)
>
>         This generates probably 5% more overhead than I have already (the
> RDBMS). XML doesn't parse quickly (well, OK, it parses quickly, but not
> compared to reading data from an RDBMS). When you are processing tens of XML
> files per second this becomes a huge problem.

You could build a parse tree in a "servlet" and hand it right to an XSL
stylesheet. The benefit of this is that you have the modularization of
having style application be independent of your database structure but you
don't actually create a file, start another process, parse the file and
continue.

 http://itrc.uwaterloo.ca/~papresco

"Remember, Ginger Rogers did everything that Fred Astaire did,
but she did it backwards and in high heels."
                                               --Faith Whittlesey

List coordinator, Henry Rzepa (mailto:rzepa at ic.ac.uk)