Namespace clashes?

Peter Finch peter at homepla.net
Wed Feb 3 11:17:09 GMT 1999

> I have been disturbed by the amount of confusion surrounding the XML
> Namespaces Recommendation. So I have written a document

This was really good but I have some questions that have been nagging me for
ages (sorry if they are dumb questions).

Imagine A, B, C, D and E and all users of some XML data. A and B exchange
data and agree to use A's namespace and that "<an:t>title</an:t>" is a
book title (among other things).

Elsewhere, C and D also exchange data and agree to use D's namespace and
that "<dn:t>title</dn:t>" is a book title.

1. E comes along and wants to create data and exchange data with A, B, C
   and D. What does E use? If E creates a new NS "<en:t>title</en:t>" then
   A, B, C and D have to update there procedures to cater for this?

2. Is there going to be (or is there) a registry for URI and tags so that
   this can be avoided?

3. Is there some way to "alias" names so that you can say that "an:t",
   "dn:t" and "en:t" are all the same (or is this up to the application)?

4. How do you validate a document that may contain tag's and attributes that
   are a mixture of different DTD's? It's easy when they have the same content
   model but what if "an:t" and  "dn:t" are containers and have completely
   different content models?

Cheers,

List coordinator, Henry Rzepa (mailto:rzepa at ic.ac.uk)