Another errata?

Tyler Baker tyler at infinet.com
Thu Feb 4 08:08:30 GMT 1999

Tim Bray wrote:

> At 01:40 PM 2/3/99 -0500, Tyler Baker wrote:
> >Once you read a
> >document into memory and no longer preserve the original prefixes (or
> >rather the QName), when
> >you write the document back out (which has possibly been mutated) where do
> >you get these
> >prefixes?  Do you simply invent them in the form a, b, c, ..., aa, ab, ac,
> >... etc.
>
> Exactly.  I can't imagine why you think this is hard.

But then the XML output is not what I would call readable anymore which violates goal number 6
in the XSL draft:

"XML documents should be human-legible and reasonably clear."

Once a document has been read into memory it may lose all of the original structure (maybe
transformed is not the right word here).  You no longer preserve the prefix names that the
original author of the content (or even DTD) had intended.  What you write out to XML may no
longer conform to any DTD.

> > I suppose
> >the people in the "Namespaces in XML" feel that once you read in a document, you throw it
> >away.
>
> When read something this ludicrous, I stop reading. -Tim

What I mean is simply, once you read in a document, you process it and then you are done with
it.  I suppose "throwing it away" was a little inaccurate.

Sorry for the misunderstanding here,

Tyler

List coordinator, Henry Rzepa (mailto:rzepa at ic.ac.uk)